West Deanies March Challenge : Home

The West Deanies group decided to have a challenge this month entitled "Home" where we could utilise some of the techniques learnt with Cas Holmes during our week at West Dean, but putting our own twist on it. The only stipulation was that it was to be 12" x 12".

My piece is based on the wonderful flowers which grow at the edge of Tingwall Loch in the summer - flag irises, wild angelica (probably really hogweed, but some of it smells lovely) and marsh marigolds.

I started with a piece of calico on which I glued down scrim, brown paper, lace, string and muslin. This was then covered with gesso and when dry painted with Koh-i-Nor bright watercolours. The flowers and grasses are machine embroidered.

I really enjoyed doing this piece and would not have attempted anything like it had we not had the challenge - so I am very grateful for the member who came up with the idea of a challenge. I wonder what next month's will be ???

Comments

Janeyc49 said…
This is a beautiful piece of work Jennie - I can't believe it is embroidered - it looks so delicate. Well done you.

Janet x
Anonymous said…
A stunning piece Jennie! Really enjoyed looking through your lovely artwork this morning!
Alison x