Vintage Rose Flower Tutorial

These are my all time favourite flowers - I just can't stop making them!  You will see that I use them alot on my scrapbook pages and in my mini-books.  I am grateful to Lisa Gregory on her blog What A Mess for her tutorial Swirly Hibiscus Flowers.  She is a flower maker supremo! and if you like making flowers have a good look at her blog as she has loads of inspiration - a very clever designer!

These are my version and I hope you like them too.

Punch, die cut or stamp three large flowers and one small one using smooth cardstock.  I have used Tim Holtz's Tattered Floral die and Very Vanilla Cardstock from Stampin Up.  Cut into the petals slightly of the larger flowers if using the Tattered Floral die.


Ink the edges with Distress Ink - here I've used Victorian Velvet but Vintage Photo is another favourite.


Spritz a flower with water and whilst wet mould it around the end of a small paintbrush, folding in all the layers.



Leave to dry naturally whilst still scrunched.  You can speed this up a bit with the heat gun but you need to open them out and it means you lose all the scrunched up layers. 


When dry, open out carefully and using a bone folder "pull out" the individual petals.  You will see that the creases give a lovely texture.  You may wish to add a little more Distress Ink to the eedges at this stage.


With a thin knitting needle, curl the leaves either inwards or outwards depending on the type of flower you wish to create.  I tend to curl the bottom layer outwards and the inner layers inwards. 


Assemble your flower by layering the different flowers on top of each other.  Add pearl gems or small rolled roses for the centres.


I hope you enjoy these roses as much as I have done and that you have a go at making them.  You can get quite different looks from using different punches or die cuts. 

Here I have used Donna Salazar's Grand Peony Dies (Spellbinder) and a star punch for the centre.



And these were made using Donna's Rose Creations Dies by Spellbinders:


Thanks for stopping by and having a look.





Comments

Artyjen said…
Really pretty flower.....thanks for sharing the how to it was fab ;)
xoxo Sioux
Emma Williams said…
A gorgeous flower...thanks for sharing this beautiful artwork with us! Good luck and thank you for joining us over at The Artistic Stamper Challenge.
Emma xx
Catherine said…
you make it look so easy! Love them!
LISA said…
Can you believe I just found this!! Thank you so much for the shout out!! Your flowers are gorgeous!!
Dortesjs said…
Just gorgeous
Linda Pekrul said…
These are stunning flowers Jennie! Thanks for the tutorial!!