Lily Flower Tutorial



I have had a number of requests for a tutorial for the puffed lily flower I have made on my cards recently.

This post is a bit photo heavy, but hopefully explains the process.


I use this McGill flower petal punch and cut from ordinary patterned cardstock seven of the larger petals.  I try and use the punch in such a way that I get the two large petals as I find the smaller ones are a bit fiddly to work with.  Before I got the punch I used to cut a general leaf/petal shape and it worked just as well.


 
 
I spritz the petals with water (quite heavily) and then scrunch them up so that the creases are reasonably vertical.  I either leave them to dry overnight or blitz them after a bit with the heat gun, but they are always better when left to dry naturally.


Once dry I open them up with a bone folder, starting at the bottom and pulling the bone folder towards the top, but trying not to smooth out all the creases.


Then using Woodware Fluffy Stuff (see Woodware website HERE) I put it around the edges of the petal only.  You can also use Tulip Puffy Paint, but in the UK it is difficult to get  hold of in white - just about every other fluorescent colour is available though!


Then heat the edges with a heat gun and it will puff up, some puffs are larger than others.  These larger ones will deflate but for me that all seems to add to the charm!

A tip:  The fluffy stuff comes in a small bottle but the tip gets blocked very easily so I transfer mine to a smaller bottle which has a very good tip which I can clean easily.  (Sorry not a good photo!)







When you have got all seven petals "fluffed" you can then layer them around a small circle of paper.  I glue them with either Art Glitter or Glossy Accents - you need a good glue to stick all the layers together.


The centres need something in the middle to finish them, either a brad, or my favourite at the moment is a bit of hessian and a button.



And here is the card I put the flower on.  This was for the Swirlydoos February Round Robin Card Challenge - the twists were to use the colours blue, brown and white.

Another card ..........



They look great all in white too ..........


Looks like snow on leaves...........

 
And brilliant when added to a punched stamen flower - a little dot on the end makes it look quite a different thing altogether ..............



I hope this is a helpful tutorial and that you will have a go. The flower is quite large and a good centre piece for a card. 

I keep meaning to make a few in the colours of the lovely striped clematis which grow in my greenhouse and polytunnel for a scrapbook page.  It is these gorgeous flowers that inspired me to make a similar flower.



Comments

Debbie said…
Just amazing Jennie, What fantasic photo' too.
I love the white flowers they are stunning. I have about five different Clamaitas including the one you have shown. I have a pale pink and white, the size of my hand and a really dark burgandy one. A very small pale pink, white medium size and this one you have. My Mum hates them but I (obviously) love them.
Debbiex
...awesome work Jennie, your flowers are pretty amazing, and what a cool product you have brought to our attention too, it's so effective and brings an wonderful dimension to the petals...a super posting...Melx :)
They really are enchanting flowers, Jennie - I can see why people wanted to know how to make them! Great tutorial, so clear, and great photos of your process - thanks so much for sharing it all with us.
Alison x
fairy thoughts said…
great pictures and very pretty flowers, the white ones would be especially ggod for christmas cards.
janet
May said…
Gorgeous flowers... Thank you so much for the clear tutorial..., They are fabulous...Hugs May x x x
ionabunny said…
Thanks for sharing. Stunning flowers. Great tutorial
julie said…
Beautiful flowers and fab tutorial thank you Jennie xxx
eileen hull said…
These are so beautiful Jennie. Thanks for sharing your cool techniques- I love making flowers too!