Tattered Poinsettia gets the Shabby Look!

Hello Everyone and I am back again with my second DT piece for Country View Challenges for our current challenge which is Sparkle and Shine.



I decided to make another Christmas card with the Tattered Poinsettia die but this time to give it the shabby treatment! So I hope you are ready for another tutorial!



I cut four of each of the blooms using this wonderful page from the Merriment Paper Stack. (I had not seen this paper stack before but found it in a pile at Paperterie in Aberdeen last week!)



I stacked all the blooms together and used a fancy brad as I had a hunch it would show (and I was right!)



As with my other shabby flowers I spritzed everything with water and started scrunching the individual blooms around the brad. You have to be a bit more careful with this die as the leaves are far more fragile.


Carry on until everything has been spritzed with water and scrunched up.


I got a bit carried away here and didn't take a photograph! As with the other shabby flowers I have used a thin knitting needle to open out the individual leaves and then to curl them whilst they are wet, however, this time I curled them towards the front and at lots of different angles.  As the leaves are so pointed it is easier to do it this way.


Before I left it to dry I gave the whole flower a spritz with Vanilla Smooch Spray and although you can't really see it here the whole flower really shimmers!


Then it was down to designing a card for this quite large flower! I decided to use layers of the Merriment cardstock and a small piece of white lace.


I added a bit more sparkle by covering the Garden Greens die cut with white paint and then some Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint.  I added this with my fingers so it is very thick in places but this does give some extra crackle and sparkle.


And the finished card. I am not sure it will survive being posted but is a great giving card.

I do hope you are enjoying the Design Team pieces this month (as every month!). With a post nearly every other day there should be plenty of inspiration for you to Sparkle and Shine! and hopefully join us for our challenge.


Thank you for joining me today.



Jennie x



Comments

Unknown said…
Love the TEXTURE on this piece Jenny... the striped flower is really pretty... wouldn't have thought it would come out so pretty... love it all... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie
Rita said…
Wow. What a great Christmas card Jenny. I do like your choice of papers too. Hugs Rita xxx
Paula Cheney said…
seriously the queen of the Tattered Floral die - looks wonderful. When I grow up I want to make flowers as good as you!
Maggie said…
Fabulous tattered Christmas card loving the colours and of course the flower. :)

MaggieH
A great take on this die Jennie, I think it makes it even more versatile and usable all year round , so thank you!
XxxxRuth
Diane said…
Very fun texture and design.

Hugs Diane
Redanne said…
Your flowers are always stunning Jennie and this one is no exception, it is absolutely gorgeous - and like Ruth says, it means the die can be used all the year round - a bonus! Anne xx
Astrid Maclean said…
Brilliant card Jennie, absolutely love the way the poinsettia turned out!!
I have this die but haven't yet used it. I love what you have done with it to produce such an amazing flower. Thank you for your tutorial on how you did it. The card looks super. I also really like the finish you gave the leaves. Cheers, Di. xx
Annie said…
Love the large flower Jennie....it looks fantastic. The papers in this book are lovely and your card is quite retro

A wonderful gift

Have a fun trip next week and say hello from me xx

Annie x
kassa said…
Jennie your Poinsettia is delectable I just love it's shabbiness- and so much lush texture - simply divine xoxo
Great Tute too :-))
Kassa xoxo
That's a brilliant way to use the Poinsettia die, just love the finished card.
Happy crafting, Angela x
Brenda Brown said…
Wonderfully shabby and a fabulous design xx
Deb said…
Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial Jennie, what a gorgeous poinsettia! Deb xo