Memories of a Green and White Christmas


It is my turn today to share a Nostalgic Christmas project at Country View Challenges and this little Christmas Luminary is in memory of my Mother. 



When I was about thirteen she saw a white tinsel christmas tree in a shop window and managed to get one the day before Christmas Eve. She had a vision of this wonderful white shimmer in the corner of the room with green
decorations. It WAS lovely ….. but before that came a mad panic to cover the green wire of the white christmas lights she had bought to go with it! And a Christmas Eve spent making green and white tree decorations, probably out of crepe paper! Over the years we made many new decorations always in white or green until the tinsel finally fell off the tree. So this is for you Mum and those lovely Christmas memories(and I know you would have loved to have made this project yourself!).


I used the lovely Tim Holtz Luminary die and used green Christmas paper. The great fun of this die is dressing up the Luminary! Leaves were from the Spring Greenery die and I made these little frosted flowers by covering Wendy Vecchi Clearly for Art clear film with Tim Holt Frosted Film. I cut out the shapes with the Tattered Florals die and when heated shaped them by forcing a ball tool in the middle of the flower. If you do this on a rubber mat it shapes beautifully!



And then the big flowers! The Tattered Poinsettia die was my base for these two (quite large!) flowers.  



I cut them in Whisper White Stampin Up cardstock and scrunched them up (tutorial on my blog HERE). Before I let them dry I spritzed them with a spray made with Pearl Perfect Pearls and Water. When they had dried I pulled out the brad and replaced it with the stamens.



A close up detail of the wonderful "scrunches" and the gorgeous frosted look of the Perfect Pearls.



I felt they needed something to sit against so a Pediment from the Tim Holtz Pediment Die worked perfectly. I used the same paper as the Luminary and backed it onto greyboard, scuffing the edges up a bit.



It really looks quite beautiful when lit with a candle - rather difficult to take a photograph though!


Thank you for joining me today and I hope your Christmas preparations are going well! It is catch up time for me after a week of thunder, lightning and power cuts and then a a fabulous few days visiting grandchildren, but getting stuck on the Mainland of Scotland as the ferry was cancelled due to the bad weather. Home now (after a very lumpy and long crossing from Aberdeen to Shetland in gale force winds and high seas), so lots of things now to finish!

Jennie x

Comments

Rita said…
Good Morning Jennie. What a lovely story of Christmas in bygone years, it left me with a lump in my throat. A beautiful way to remember your Mum and the luminary is so so stunning. Hugs Rita xxx
Margaret said…
Your luminary is beautiful and I enjoyed reading about your tinsel Xmas tree. Obvious where you got your creativity from! Have a lovely Christmas. Best wishes, Margaret
Linda Pekrul said…
What a wonderful memory of childhood Jennie! I love the luminary! Your flowers are just gorgeous - both the frosted ones and the pointsettias! Enjoy getting caught up on your Christmas preparations!
Redanne said…
Such a lovely memory of your Mum and such a gorgeous luminary! Your flowers are always so stunning... Good to hear that you got back home safely too. Hugs, Anne xx
Wonderful memory, gorgeous project, Jennie!!!!
Marci said…
Holidays are about memories, such a sweet story about your Mom. Your luminary is beautiful, I love, love your frosted flowers.
My word, Jennie... your flowers just get better and better. These tattered poinsettias are jaw-droppingly fabulous (I'm much more for the white than the red - no surprises there), and look so wonderful on your gorgeous vintage luminary. Love the little frosted blooms too. What a lovely story about your mother and the frosted tree... that's what Christmas is all about.
Alison xx
Margaret said…
Jennie, what a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful memory, and a great way to honor your mother too! This is gorgeous!