Pearly Altered Bottle

I am sharing another post today here at Live the Dream which was featured on the PaperArtsy blog for the pearlescent challenge, but which I wanted to have here on the blog for my own records. So forgive me for a bit of a "cut and paste" and please do not feel obliged to comment!



I would say that this altered bottle did not go initially to plan (or rather the design that was in my head) but as you will see a stroke of luck with the water bottle sorted things out and now I am very pleased with it!

I started with a small Prosecco bottle .... it really is worth looking in the small wine bottles section of your local supermarket as there are some wonderful shapes of bottles, but which are not too large to alter. For the sake of my art, I did drink the contents of two bottles so I had a spare .......... 



The bottle got a couple of coats of gesso then a coat of crackle paste which I applied with a paintbrush. I didn't want anything too thick. I loved all the little marks on the bottle and had intended to do some layering with texture paste, but in the end let the original textures on the bottle provide the interest.


Now this is where it all started going a bit wrong! or rather not to plan! I wanted a light coat of Infusions to blend into the crackle on the bottle and had thought that rolling it in the colour would work but ....... the shape of the bottle precluded that. I tried painting the colour on and it was too dark (I am using Violet Storms which are not light at the best of times!) Finally I stood the bottle on some kitchen towel and gave everything a spritz of water  (as I thought I would start all over again) and hey presto the water and Infusions dripped beautifully. I wanted to keep this wonderful colour so zapped it with the heat gun, hoping that the bottle wouldn't crack!  I then had the great idea that I would spritz the bottle with a Pearlescent spray ..... I nearly lost all the wonderful colour, but it did work and the bottle has a lovely sheen to it, although the photographs don't really show that.



Now I am sure we all have loads of these - I have an enormous amount bought for a workshop which was then cancelled. I am always looking for ways of using them up and I love altering them with a bit of paint.


I find the easiest thing is to paint them while they are still on the plastic sheeting. They first got a coat of Chalk and then a little PaperArtsy Satin Glaze.



You wouldn't recognise them as the same embellishment.



I then started decorating the bottle and this went fairly fast as I chose various different elements. The lovely sisters were stamped onto tissue and added over the crackled/infused bottle. I love the way some of the Violet Infusions shows through. 




I felt I needed a sentiment and so I took a few words from one of Alison Bombers wonderful sentiments and stamped on some old text paper to keep the vintage feel.



And then the to the top of the bottle. I love using just one colour of Infusions and so I dyed some American seam binding ribbon with the Violet Storms Infusions. If you want a lighter colour you need to add loads of water, but you can make it still lighter by wrapping it in a piece of kitchen towel and squeezing the water out before drying. I love this dusky violet!

When I first saw the cameo stamp I knew I had to find my shrink plastic! I have always used the Translucent Shrink Plastic as it seems less brittle. A little gold around the edges just finished it off.



Then I found the cap of the bottle which I had completely forgotten about! It looked a bit bland with just the paint so I gave it another coat of the Chalk mixed with Satin Glaze and it really has a lovely pearly finish. A pearl from an old necklace made a lovely top. 


There is also a piece of pearl necklace (from an old necklace I found in my mother in law's jewellery box) around the top of the bottle underneath the ribbon. 



So here is my "pearly" altered bottle .... pearls and pearlescent sprays and of course the odd pearl button.


I hope you are having a great day and the weather is kinder than here - wet and windy AGAIN ! but at least it means I can shut myself in the craft room.

Jennie x

Comments

It's a gorgeous altered bottle, Jennie - no harm in seeing it twice. Hope the legs are breaking appropriately!
Alison x
Redanne said…
I do so love what you do for your art Jennie - lol! Your altered bottle is beautiful and definitely worth a second look! Hugs, Anne xx
Julia Aston said…
what a wonderful little repurposed bottle Jennie! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can apply the wrong thing to a project! you saved it wonderfully with all of your added elements! Julia xx
Pamellia said…
So beautiful Jennie! I find that very often my designs don't go as I planned them in my head, but as long as you're happy with the end result, that's the most important. Your bottle is so shabby-licious, I adore the muted tones and all the pearly extras! Your technique of painting the bling is genius, I am totally gonna borrow that! Another stunning vintage transformation! hugs :)