... no not me! but our new challenge at A Vintage Journey!
Hello and welcome to yet another month! And I am kicking off my blog posts with this little "slim" which allowed me to experiment with some rusty texture paste I have had for a while, but haven't really used. And our new challenge at A Vintage Journey was a really good opportunity.
The lovely Autumn is our host this month:
Many of us love rust and enjoy looking for new ways to get that authentic look of crusty peeling metal. For this challenge include some rust in your vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk project, whether it be the real thing, a faux technique or just a rust colour on your project.
I have got loads of offcuts of board from other projects and often enjoy making a "slim" project. These are 6" x 2", the size of a book mark, but a perfect size to try out new techniques or products.
This is how it started before I started adding the rust paste (I just remembered to take a photograph!). I have used Gesso as the base and also to cover my metal and paper embellishments. I have used ordinary texture paste to add a little interest too. The centres of the metal flowers are pearl embellishments (which I seem to have an abundance of) but when covered with the gesso will take any medium.
There are no photographs of any other part of the process I am afraid as I had no idea where it was going! These are the products I used:
I watered down the Red Texture Paste a little and painted it onto the board and embellishments. I then added the Dark Brown Texture Paste here and there, again watered down. Once dried it really is quite sandy and rough.
I had a little die cut lying on the desk and so used the same texture pastes but splodged them on with a pallete knife to give a heavier covering.
I decided the whole slim looked rather dark and so I added the Turquoise Satin Wax over the main textures, just rubbing it on with my fingers. Not quite the verdigris finish I was hoping for but looks nicer than the usual gold or silver I use.
Before adding the micro beads and sentiment I sanded the edges and the bits I could get to. I love the way the white board shows through here and there.
I am so glad to have the opportunity to experiment with these pastes and shall certainly be using them again. I was pleasantly surprised that they did a great job whether watered down or used as it comes out of the pot.
I do hope you will visit us on the challenge blog (HERE) to see what amazing projects my talented fellow Creative Guides have made. There are so many wonderful rusty ideas. And I also hope you manage to join us with your rusty and crusty project.
As always thank you for joining me and have a lovely weekend.